Wednesday 4 June 2014

(NOT QUITE AS GOOD AS NAN'S) HOMEMADE SLAW






I grew up in a pub and when there used to be an event like a wedding reception or a birthday party that used to be held for one of the regulars my Mum and Nan used to put on an amazing spread. I think it's where my love for food and cooking comes from. One of the things that always used to get asked for was my Nan's "Scouse" and her homemade slaw. It's famous within my family as well. Sadly she and mum left us before I ever found out the secret to her recipe. It was so crunchy and sweet and light, not like the sloppy shop bought versions you can buy.



When the passion for cooking was sparked up in me and I thought about Nan's slaw I had two or three attempts at trying to make it but I never found that secret ingredient something. Maybe it was just because it was made with love? We will never know. My version is the closest I have ever gotten and it's still yummy, it's just not quite there but I think you'll still find it a great treat for a summer dinner or BBQ.

Homemade Slaw

1 Half White Cabbage
1 Half Red Cabbage
Large Pinch Of Salt
1 Large Peeled Carrot
3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
2 Tsp Cider Vinegar
2 Tsp Caster Sugar
Pepper To Season




  1. Grate the cabbages using a box grated. If possible, try and grate  the cabbages using the different sides of the grater so that you have a variety of finely and roughly grated pieces to add different textures to the slaw.
  2. Place the cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle with a large pinch of salt to draw some of the moisture out of the cabbage. Leave to rest for 10 minutes and once rested place into a colander and squeeze out as much excess water you can.
  3. Transfer the cabbage back into to the bowl and add the carrot, 1tbsp mayo and 1tsp of the vinegar and sugar and give everything a good mix. Then add another spoon of the mayo, vinegar and sugar and mix again before adding the last spoon of mayo and giving one last mix. This will ensure that everything is well coated and evenly spread.
  4. Taste and season with pepper and add more of the mayo, sugar or vinegar if you think it needs it. Cover with film and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.  
 
If you have the time and the forward thinking prepare your slaw the day before. After marinading overnight it tastes even better.

Serve in a jacket with some sweetcorn and a burger and you have got yourself a BBQ plate come rain or shine. Or you could just grab a fork and eat it straight out the bowl - MattyB Style.

I'm sure my nan would be very proud of my take on her perfect slaw and I'm so happy I can share my memories of her with this recipe.

I hope it makes you just as happy too!


No comments:

Post a Comment