Friday 3 June 2016

MATTY'S WALDORF SLAW



I do love a good homemade slaw. Comes from the love of my Nan's homemade version we used to have back in the day. I love experimenting with my slaw's, trying to come up with different variations depending on what it's going to be served alongside. Today we were having some BBQ pork belly and jacket potatoes so an all American slaw sounded like it would do the trick so what I did was take some of the flavors of a Waldorf salad, apple and walnuts as well as some sultanas and let me tell you this; it was Da Bomb!

Now I could start telling you about all the changes you could make to the recipe below or I'll say this; if you like the flavors of a Waldorf salad and you like coleslaw then you are going to like this Waldorf slaw. If you don't like the idea of that then let me redirect you one of my other coleslaw recipes that might be more up your street;

Or what about my accidental chunk ranch slaw, for those who like a bit of bite to their slaw. 
Finally, if you need slaw for a spicy dish try my minty chili slaw. Hot and cooling at the same time!

So now that's out of the way, let me show you how to make my Waldorf slaw. My only advice is that when it comes to chopping your fruit and veg, chop them as chunky or as thinly as you like and as for the mayo, add in more than what I suggest below if you prefer a wetter slaw. I only add two tbsps as I like my slaws to retain a bit of crunch but I know this isn't to everyone's taste. Give my recipe a go though and you might be pleasantly surprised;

 Waldorf Slaw

250g Chopped White Cabbage
1 Peeled And Chopped Carrot
1 Peeled, Cored And Chopped Apple
1 Peeled And Chopped White Onion
2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
Handfull Of Chopped Walnuts
Handfull Sultanas
Salt And Pepper To Season



  1. It's as simple as this. Chuck all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss everything together until everything is coated in the mayonnaise. Taste, add more mayonnaise if you wish and season with more salt and pepper if you think it's needed.
Let the slaw rest for at least half an hour to let all the flavors meld together and then serve. It's so easy to make but looks so mouthwateringly appetizing and delicious that it will most definitely impress at your next BBQ. By keeping it light on the mayonnaise you are really letting the flavors and the crunch of the cabbage, carrot, apple and onion shine whilst the walnuts and sultana's really give it that little extra touch pizazz that makes it stand out from your usual slaw. There is is a sweet edge to it that the apple and sultana's give which is balanced out the woodiness of the walnuts. A truly wonderful Waldorf twist on an old favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment